Saturday, July 19, 2008

A brave new world, and a somewhat flawed older one

Well, here we are two weeks later, and I’ve been pleasantly surprised at the response I’ve gotten. I don’t know if it’s a case of encouraging the new guy, but I’ve been gratified that people have actually commented. I’m starting to see how this whole blogging thing works — people leave comments on your sight, and you leave comments on theirs. Kind of like e-mail, only slower, less personal and open to lots of people.

By the way, I want to publicly thank Thora, who’s partially responsible for getting me into blogging in the first place, for listing my blog on her blog. I promise to return the favor as soon as I figure out how.


A while back, I got a free audio book copy of Star Wars: Legacy of the Force: Betrayal. Now anything that has three titles should be treated with some suspicion, and any book named Betrayal is pretty much guaranteed to be a downer. Also, I’ve done some research — Legacy of the Force is a nine-volume series, of which Betrayal is the first of the series. My guess is that Legacy was made available for free as a way to pull you into buying the other eight. Clearly, George is now employing a former crack dealer as his marketing director.


Nevertheless, a free audiobook is a free audiobook, and I do spend a lot of time in the car. I spent the weekend doing technical things with my iBook (I’m a rabid Mac junkie, by the way), trying to convert and combine the various MP3 files into a single file for my iPod (yep — total iPod geek, too. Had one before I had my Mac). I succeeded, and by this posting, have listened to about an hour and a half out of six.


To my chagrin, I haven’t had the time or desire to read much of anything lately. So I suppose there’s some little bit of embarrassment that the first thing I pick up in months is a Star Wars novel. After all, when you have a limited time to read, you should make your time count. There are limitless volumes from the wellsprings of human wisdom that should be occupying my attention. Instead, I pick up a space opera pastiche.


But at the same time, I am a firm believer that while expanding your tastes is a noble goal, you should also not turn your back on that which is merely fun. And, at the moment, Star Wars is very fun for me. I only wish Star Wars fiction were of a better quality.


The book I’m “reading” now is deep in the established canon of the Star Wars Expanded Universe. Now, I don’t care for the EU canon, and never have. I know that Timothy Zahn’s novels, which are the cornerstone of the EU, have Clone Army-sized legions of fans, and reports I’ve read have said he is a terribly nice man; a very good thing in my book. But that does not alter the fact that I dislike his creation intensely, and rue the fact that it has come to dominate the EU.


There are, to my knowledge, few if any EU novels that don’t have Zahn’s fingerprints on them, and Betrayal is no exception. I intensely dislike the character of Mara Jade, yet she is Luke’s wife. I am indifferent to the Solo children, and to Luke and Mara’s own progeny, yet the Legacy series seems to largely be about them. As a side note, Leia is still protected by the Noghri bodyguards, another of Zahn’s creations, although they play little part in the story so far.


In fact, I have recently learned that Zahn had originally conceived the Noghri as the Sith race, and Vader’s breath mask was to be a stylized representation of the Noghri’s general facial features. Thankfully, Lucas had more in mind for the Sith than this, and shut the idea down cold.


This lamentable tendency among some of the early EU authors to try and carve off huge slices of the film’s canon to serve their own creations is one symptom of what I dislike the most about the Star Wars EU novels — many have an overly exaggerated opinion of their own importance. For instance, I realize that, dramatically, a great hero requires a great villain, and that a new ancillary character needs to at least be on a par with our heros for them. But I was never able to make myself that Prince Xizor, painted as one of the most powerful men in the galaxy, was anywhere near in the same class as his supposed rival, Vader; or that Zahn’s Grand Admiral Thrawn was remotely as nigh-omniscient as his creator made him out to be. And I resented the way that Steve Perry kept inventing ways to make Dash Rendar vitally important to the established Star Wars characters in Shadows of the Empire.


I could go on about my objections to the EUs, but it would quickly become as tiresome as I find some criticisms of the prequel trilogies. The fact is that millions of fans love the EU books. While I am not one of them, you shouldn’t lightly slam someone else’s tastes.


There seems to be a growing tendency among Star Wars fans to complain about any new story in our chosen universe, even when it comes from Lucas himself. I unabashedly plead guilty to that. Sturgeon’s law, created (or at least popularized) by science fiction writer Theodore Sturgeon, holds that “ninety percent of everything is crap.” While I think that’s an overly harsh exaggeration, it makes the point that not everything can or should be expected to be at the same level as the best of its breed.


That sounds like a rationalization, and probably, it is. The bottom line is that I’d rather enjoy Star Wars than not enjoy it. By the same token, I'd rather enjoy life than not enjoy it. My natural tendency is to pick something apart until I reach the point where I wondered what I ever saw in it in the first place. There comes a time when you have to overlook the flaws, glaring as some may be, and try to find the good things. This holds true for movies, music, books, painting, sculpture, dance, television shows, and most especially, people. 

4 comments:

Samuel said...

Well, I must agree that I am not too much of a fan to the expanded universe. I am a purist in the sense that I believe that the movies are the only things that actually happen in Star Wars, and that the first three actually are more canonical than the last three (I think the prequel are told from the Emperor's point of view). The books barely even register on the cannon scale.

I agree that one of the biggest issues is that many writers seem to make their characters cooler than the hero. It always bugged me that Zahn introduced a new force user better than Luke, a pilot better than Wedge, a gambler better than Lando, a alien race tougher than the Wookies, a general better than Ackbar/Madeen/Reikeen/andeveryotherpossible tacticianever, a hacker better than every other hacker, etc. I almost felt like it was a five year old's version of Star Wars with all the "better than yours" feel to it.

The funny thing about this is that I feel that secondary characters are important to the Star Wars Universe. Wedge, Ackbar, Tarkin, etc. all add color and depth to the universe that makes it feel larger and more real. I guess the problem with Thrawn was that the only characters he introduced were all heroes who each should have been the character of his own story. They were all experts and wunderkints, not side characters that did important things.

The other problem that I have is that practically all the stories attempted to capture the feel of Luke Skywalker from the movies. Well and good, except for the fact that he should have changed. In the movies he was a young farmer who was on a hero journey. After Jedi he was a Jedi Knight, and a confident and capable hero. Practically every book I read had Luke on some sort of hero journey, and back to fretting about whether he knew anything or really understood the Force, or some such nonsense. Sure he isn't perfect, but please refrain from making him a simpleton again.

Well, that is all I have for the moment. I leave you with the knowledge that Mara Jade does die in the books, Luke is still the best Jedi ever, and X-wings are way cooler than those E-wing things they keep raving on about.

Inkling said...

I agree completely about the importance of ancillary characters to Star Wars. Wedge, Ackbar, and even one of my favorites, Admiral Piett, filled a great role without eclipsing the heroes the story is about. The fact that the prequels felt somewhat weaker, somehow, I think can be traced to the fact that they didn't make the lesser characters stronger.

And bravo on the observation about Luke and his hero journey. The success of the first three films has much to do with the way it used the hero journey myth that Joseph Campbell and George Lucas were both so fond of. The journey is complete by the end of "Jedi," and so, yeah, it makes no sense to turn Luke back into a naive farmboy at the start of every novel just so you can walk him through the hero journey again.

Veiltender said...

My opinions about the EU are too well known to be published here--for one thing this is a family 'blog (actually having recently spent a year in the UK, the above sentence seems massively political, since EU also stands for European Union).

I think one of the problems with the Expanded Universe is that it can't do Star Wars properly, and it isn't really the faults of the authors. Most of the story-telling in Star Wars is fast-paced visual conflict, while the books, because they are books, tend to be much more like traditional science fiction (Zahn was, incidentally, already a big name in military sci-fi before his Star Wars trilogy). Books don't always transfer well to movies (such as the wretched Prince Caspian movie recently released), but of course, it works both ways. Star Wars doesn't transfer well to a literary format.

Also, most of the ideas are dumb. How many super weapons are we up to? The Noghri aren't the only "Sith race"--you can't swing a dead Womp Rat in the Comic Books without finding some ancient Sith race to beat up the heroes.

I am in danger of ranting, and I try to remain positive about Star Wars, despite going through a trough period in my appreciation of Star Wars.

Veiltender said...

Whether I've first run into a story through a book or a movie, I tend to be wary of the other (for example, I love the movie Fried Green Tomatoes, but I've never read the book for fear of not liking it), I think because I become tied to my first experience. So although I've never read the EU (I've heard enough people complain about Mara Jade that I feel like I have sometimes), I can relate.
And thanks for the shout-out; I appreciate your insightful comments on my blog, too. (Let's all pat each other on the back, now).
Thora