Sunday, May 31, 2009

Return of the Jedi

I was graced this week by a visit from my former padawan, Henri Magee, and his wife. Henri is the most fervent Star Wars fan I know, and just being around him makes me remember what it is that I love about the saga.
This visit was no different. While we attended a screening of Star Trek during his visit (just as awesome the second time, I'm happy to report), and did some unexpected geeking out on Civil War history (like where exactly Henri's wife's great-great-grandfather fought the Yankees at Shiloh), the thing I will take the most from the visit is the return of my interest in Star Wars. Part of this came from a partial, interrupted viewing of A New Hope, but part comes from two long and utterly enjoyable sessions of Star Wars: Battlefront II. Nothing like running around blasting battle droids with a good friend to make you remember why you became a Jedi.

As I often do, I now realize far too much time has passed since I have watched the trilogy. And while the attempt to see the trilogy again with my fellow Jedi fell flat, as it often does, I don't doubt that I will finish the full saga, and soon. My latest padawan learner, aka my daughter, has noticed deficiencies in her Star Wars knowledge, and just a week ago said that we needed to watch some more Star Wars together. Since she admitted she didn't know who Lando Calrissian was, I think I know a good place to start. After we finish where we left off with A New Hope, of course.

I think it's going to be a fun couple of weeks. I'll keep you posted.

2 comments:

Thora said...

I'm glad you had a good visit! I like going to civil war sites. And Avram just watched the Empire Strikes Back with Samuel. So in pieces, all of you will watch it, with someone from the group. Or something like that. Lydia is coming along nicely. She was very entranced by the Empire Strikes Back.

Samuel said...

I had a good time too.