Monday, October 6, 2008

Good, clean fun

We (meaning my wife, daughter and I) spent some of Sunday afternoon cleaning out and refreshing the inside of my Honda wagon. I sort of accepted the "lived-in look" as the way things were, since there are a host of things I'd rather be doing on the weekend other than cleaning out my car. But it went quickly with help, and I must admit, it made the commute to work this morning much more pleasant. My noble steed is in desperate need of a good wash and wax job, and I'm looking forward to tackling that this weekend.

We had planned to see "Beverly Hills Chihuahua" this weekend, but that one somehow dropped off the radar. Instead, we managed to get two really enjoyable viewings in. For starters, the three of us watched "The Clone Wars" debut on Saturday. My daughter stayed overnight at her best friend's house Friday, when the debut was, so I brought our VCR back online. It was the first time I'd taped something in at least at year, and I'm almost surprised I remembered how.

I was definitely pleased with the first two episodes. "Ambush, " the first episode, did a nice job of highlighting Yoda, melding the playful little green frog of The Empire Strikes Back with the Jedi warlord of Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith. The second, "Rising Malevolence," was especially enjoyable for the way it highlighted Plo Koon, one of my favorite "background" Jedi Council members. I think it was criminal that Plo, a fan favorite of many, including my esteemed apprentice, the Jedi Hero, was neglected throughout all three prequels, except for a short bit during the Order 66 sequence of Sith.  I'm not sure I agreed with the voice they gave him in "Clone Wars," but they got the attitude right, I think. However, I await the Hero's verdict before I give the portrayal my full endorsement.

Both episodes had a couple of "neat bits" in them, and my youngest apprentice and I both agreed that we have a new Friday night tradition — assuming she has nothing more pressing on her social calendar.

The second treat came Sunday, as I watched the movie Iron Man for the first time (minus the aforementioned padawan). What can one say about this movie other than "it rocked?" Downey was absolutely perfect as Tony Stark, and the entire affair was well done from start to finish. I look forward to Iron Man 2, and plan to acquire the 2-disc set the first film so I can immerse myself in the "making of" features I enjoy so much.

Next week, if all goes well, I should acquire the new Indiana Jones DVD, which I am embarrassed and ashamed to say I missed in its theatrical run. Naturally, you may expect a full report on that experience, as well as the new Clones episodes as they are aired. Until then, dear readers!


2 comments:

Thora said...

I need to clean and vacuum our car - it's gone from Utah to Virginia and then Virginia to Ohio with nary a vacuum in sight. Hmmm.

Otherwise, I bet Samuel will be excited about Plo Koon. He always seems to talk about him when Star Wars comes up.

Anonymous said...

I very much enjoyed working with you, my husband, and definitely enjoyed watching "Iron Man" with you. I agree, it rocked total *g*, and I look forward to bonus footage in our future.
Now, if I can remember my sign-in info, hmm...
drat...will post anonymously, but it's me. *g*